Friday 5 September 2008

Age limits

A reader asks:

What is the age limit for traditional vocations? I have heard of gentlemen up to 75 being admitted, but I think many are in their 40's and 50's these days. Though, I am hearing of many in their 40's and 50's being denied, too, from the Texas dioceses. Also, there are dioceses which preclude men from entering the seminary if they have been divorced.

Are you able to help? I know the FSSP, for example, has a general age limit of 35 years, but will consider individuals over that on a case-by-case basis.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i have heard also that men of certain careers are not able to enter the seminary, or at least are not welcome, such as investment bankers or politicians that would bring a certain disrepute to the public nature of a priest. i believe this is mentioned in the norms for priestly formation.

Mr. Brian Batty, OP said...

Almost all orders, either Traditional or post-Vatican II, do not take older vocations to the priesthood. Some will consider if it's for non-ordained brother/monk.

Almost all have a cut-off that varies, but they all range between 30 - 40. A handful might go up to 45.

I know this because I have been rejected by all I've contacted based on my age alone(45).